SUMMER VACATION - According to my Grim characters, Rhys and Ranyon!

My Grim Series is bringing ancient faery legends to modern-day America. 

Rhys and Morgan are hero and heroine of the first book, STORM WARRIORRanyon is a small fae creature (with an enormous personality) called an ellyll

All turn up again in Book 2, STORMBOUND, along with new characters, Aidan and Brooke, and many more. 

And Ranyon, as usual, nearly stole the show in newly released Book Three, STORM WARNED.

So what if someone who'd never even heard of a coffee break suddenly had to take a SUMMER VACATION?  Check out the following conversation between Rhys and Ranyon....


RHYS:  My name is Rhys, and I’ve had over two millennia of experience in the human world above and the faery realm beneath, but I’ve never journeyed on a “vacation” before.

RANYON:  And ya wouldn’t be now, save your good wife says you have to.

RHYS:  *whispering* You didn’t need to tell them that part.

RANYON:  Of course I did, ya twpsyn. Every human male likes to pretend everything’s his very own idea. Morgan should get the glory for finally getting you away from yer farm. Ya need yer mind expanded.

RHYS:  My mind is fine and well, thanks. And when did you become such an expert on vacations?


RANYON:  Leo and I traveled to see the Blue Jays in Toronto last summer, remember? What a brammer of a time we had!

RHYS:  That’s because you love baseball more than food or drink.

RANYON:  Oh, but the food and drink were tasty too. Leo got these great huge pretzels and –

RHYS:  Morgan has something very different in mind. There’s no baseball where we’re going.

RANYON:  None at all? Surely there’s a sport o’ some kind!

RHYS:  Swimming, she says, but only because it’s on an island.

RANYON:  *horrified* Ya mean yer gonna get yerself wet on purpose?

RHYS:  You forget, ’twas my own people, the Celts, who invented soap. And I went swimming often as a boy. It’s fun, and Morgan says the water is clear as the sky and warm as a bathtub.

RANYON:  *shudders*  I suppose next you’ll be tellin’ me there’s no beer!

RHYS:  I’m not sure about beer. She showed me pictures of strong drinks inside big prickly fruits, with strange little umbrellas in them.

RANYON:  Whatever are the umbrellas for? You don’t have to get wet while you drink, do you?

RHYS:  I don’t know. But I promised to try the drinks for her sake. And to look at the fish. She says there’s hundreds of beautiful fish to be seen in the waters.

RANYON:  *counting off on his twiggy fingers*  No baseball, no beer, yer gettin’ wet and yer lookin’ at fish?  I won’t be going with ya, if that’s yer idea of a good time.

RHYS:  You’re not invited to go with us, not this time. Morgan calls this a “romantic retreat”. It’s only for couples.

RANYON:  Oh, I get it. Yer gonna be all dovey and cooey. *makes a face* Well, human females love that, and yours deserves naught but the best, even if that means fishy water and little umbrellas. She’s been more than brave, what with all the faery troubles she’s been through, and goddess knows what perils yet to come to us. We were lucky to escape with our lives that last time.

RHYS:  Aye, I wish I hadn’t brought such danger to her doorstep. So it’s more for her sake that I’m agreeing to this vacation.

RANYON:  And are Aidan and Brooke going on this lovers’ journey as well?

RHYS:  Nay, they’ll be caring for the horses on our farm. But they have plans of their own while they’re there. Camping, they say, in the little stand of trees in the back pasture.

RANYON:  Outside? But you have a fine dry house! And ’tis mortal danger to sleep outside with the Fae about. You’ve still got all the charms that I made you?

RHYS:  Aye, on every wall and roof and fencepost. I’d never take them down, not with the Wild Hunt roaming the countryside. Aidan doesn’t like the idea of spending the night outdoors any more than you do, but he has faith in Brooke. She’s a powerful witch, and I know she’ll take precautions. She says she used to do a lot of camping with her friends when she was young; that it’s something done for fun. People tell ghost stories and roast hotdogs and –

RANYON:  Hotdogs, ya say? Like at the ballpark?

RHYS:  Aye, that seems to be an important part of the custom. And there’s marsh candies too, some sweet white things that you toast on a stick over a fire.

RANYON:  Well, now yer talkin’. It’s a pretty big farm you have, lots of work to be done, and animals to be looked after. I’m sure Aidan and Brooke will be needin’ my help. And besides, they might need a little extra magic to keep the dark Fae at bay.

RHYS:  *putting his hand on the ellyll’s shoulder* That would bring me much peace of mind while I attend this vacation.

RANYON:  One thing you could do for me, though…

RHYS:  What’s that?

RANYON:  Bring me one of those little umbrellas, will ya? I think I can make a charm with one.

..............................................................................................

Wishing you a wonderful summer, whatever your plans may be! And don't forget to enter my summer giveaway below! Runs from June 1st to 8th, 2015, and open to USA, Canada, and UK. Winner gets their choice of an ebook from my backlist, plus some little paper umbrellas to use in summer drinks or to bribe Ranyon with!

Dani Harper


a Rafflecopter giveaway

46 comments:

  1. Warm weather, warm waters...lots of time off. Not happening any time soon but one can dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely the "happy place" in my mind that I go to!

      Delete
  2. Just not working is enough. But there are so many places I'd love to go if I could. ( Hawaii, Florida Keys, Italy, Ireland, the list goes on. ..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a long list too ... but I'd have to have some time off JUST to figure out where to go!

      Delete
  3. I'd love to know what charm Ranyon would make from one of those little umbrellas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Florida so I would like to be someplace cooler. I would love to see Nantucket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my mom said - she'd head NORTH to get away from the heat!

      Delete
  5. Visiting the British Isles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely on my bucket list. I want to explore my roots!

      Delete
  6. Family vacation to universal studio in Orlando

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like fun! I think I could spend a whole week there!

      Delete
  7. I would go to San Diego for 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to see the San Diego Zoo.

      Delete
  8. a lot of sun, water (pool or ocean), friends and books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love water - I miss our fishing boat in Alaska

      Delete
  9. I want to tour Europe with the hubs. Spend like, 3 months doing it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often thought a person would need that long just to see everything!

      Delete
  10. I have a lot of places I would love to go to - the beach, Ireland, some of the National Parks in the US, go to Ohio to spend time with my family, but right now some time off from work would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just having some time to yourself to decompress and enjoy your own place is really nice!

      Delete
  11. This was absolutely a joy to read! Made my day! I've never really took a vacation anywhere, only day trips! Soon our 32 anniversary so we overdue for one! My dream one of course would include the ebook reader and the sun and lighthouses. I always have wanted to visit one, so it would be fab to drive down the east coast to see them.

    cathiecaffey @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the visit with Rhys and Ranyon. Lighthouses are so interesting! I've never been close to one, but I'd like to go inside and explore.

      Delete
  12. just a few good books, a comfortable chair, no bugs, sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to spend my summer vacation in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an awesome place to snorkel!

      Delete
  14. Long and lazy, with nothing to do and plenty of time to do it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the feeling of not having to do anything would be priceless --- for a while.

      Delete
  15. All summer to play at the beach as well as in the mountains (Rockies, Tetons - I'm not picky) for some hiking in relatively cooler weather. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even thought of the mountains - that would be amazing!

      Delete
    2. I'd much rather visit the mountains during summer than winter! I am NOT a fan of snow! :-D

      Delete
  16. My summer would be to relax and enjoy some good books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books can be vacations all by themselves!

      Delete
  17. A long trip to Scotland and Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would spend a long holiday touring Europe as a whole, but definitely Scotland, Ireland and Wales...and Italy...oh, just all of them!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So hard to choose - everything is so interesting.

      Delete
  19. I'd love an all paid 2 week vacation to a clean beach in Hawaii with my precious family :)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of the black sand beaches, and just read about one beach that has green sand.

      Delete
  20. Reading on a Hawaiian beach

    ReplyDelete
  21. Reading somewhere with a warm breeze and a cool (non-alcoholic for me) drink brought by a handsome cabana boy! Who perhaps is also a masseuse with magic fingers....

    My shoulders get sore when I read too much! lol ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. going to Ireland and seeing all the beautiful landscapes and castles.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We loved San Diego on the west coast so this year we're giving the East Coast and Myrtle Beach a try!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My comment isn't showing up... If this is a dupl, please ignore it!

    I'd love some downtime to read and catch up with reviews...and time to hang out with my dogs at our pool... I know they'd love that! AND more time to visit our local attractions.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments and read every one of them! Thanks for taking the time to write!