In honor of the season, I thought I'd tell you a little about one of my favorite horror novels, which I first read as a monster-movie-obsessed kid.
First published in September of 1897, the original DRACULA has never once been out of print! Not only has Stoker's novel remained incredibly popular, it's responsible for an amazing pop culture love affair with vampires. (Think about it -- without Dracula, there would be no Twilight!)
|Bram Stoker, 1847 to 1912|
2. The character of Count Dracula has little in common with the real life prince, Vlad Dracula, other than the name, and perhaps the quality of utter ruthlessness.
3. Dracula means son of the dragon -- Vlad Dracula's father was Vlad Dracul, ruler of Wallachia in the 15th century. They both belonged to the Order of the Dragon, a brotherhood of knights devoted to defending Christianity against the invading Ottoman Turks.
4. Author Bram Stoker was born in Dublin, Ireland, and had a total of 12 novels published. Dracula was his 5th book -- and his most popular.
5. There are literally over 1000 books and over 200 movies based on the Stoker's vampire character, Dracula.
|Bran Castle in Romania, nicknamed Dracula's Castle.|
7. Bram Stoker was distantly related to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the author behind Sherlock Holmes.
8. Stoker spent time in the United States. Invited not once but twice to the White House, he knew two presidents - William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt.
9. Dracula's castle was modeled after Bran Castle in Romania. Vlad Dracul never lived there but his army passed through the area in early 1459.
10. The original manuscript of Dracula -- still titled "THE UN-DEAD" -- was discovered not in Stoker's native country, but in a barn in Pennsylvania about thirty years ago!
And now, check out
THE 14 NIGHTS OF HALLOWEEN GIVEAWAY!!!
It's that time of year again. The days are getting shorter, the air is
getting cooler and the nights are getting spookier. Yes, it's time for
tricks and treats, goblins and ghouls, chills and thrills and huge
amounts of sugary sweets. But at the Laughing Vixen Lounge blog it's also time for the 5th annual Attack of the 14 Nights of Halloween Giveaway. Join Laughing Vixen Lounge and our bewitching co-hosts The Kids Did It, The Mommy Island, Herding Cats and Burning Soup, The Hopping Bloggers, Mama Smith's Reviews and Women and Their Pretties for a spooktacular Halloween event.
Enter to win a $250 Prize Pack filled with goodies from 10 wickedly
fabulous shops. All shops are offering Gift Cards or your choice of
item(s) so there will be something for everyone. Many of the shops have items perfect for any book lover along with lots of
unique, handcrafted and custom designs to choose from.
Visit the Laughing Vixen Lounge
blog daily during the giveaway for the Halloween Movie Marathon. Test
your movie knowledge with the Guess the Movie Game. Then try to solve
the Murder Mystery Scavenger Hunt, if you dare! Each event will get you
daily entries in the giveaway plus a special giveaway for the Scavenger
Hunt. Find full details for these events HERE.
You can start by entering the Rafflecopter widget below. To
experience all the games, movies, shop features, giveaway info and all
around awesome fun make sure to stop by the Laughing Vixen
Lounge blog HERE.
The giveaway runs October 18th - November 1st and is open worldwide to
anyone 18+. 1 winner will win the Prize Pack and 1 winner will win the
Scavenger Hunt Prize Pack. Laughing Vixen Lounge is responsible for all
giveaway details. Click HERE for full details.
a Rafflecopter giveaway